The Perks Of Becoming A Get Informed
The Gem City Market will be a full-service grocery store and deli located in the Salem Avenue corridor, just across the bridge from downtown Dayton.
Products sold at this store will meet the diverse grocery needs of Dayton residents and families.
This new grocery store will be a place where everyone is welcome. The success of the market will be driven by the ideas and input of all its customers, and members of the community.
What is a food co-op?
A food cooperative or food co-op is a food distribution outlet organized as a cooperative. Food cooperatives are usually community and worker owned, and decisions regarding the production and distribution of its food are chosen by its members.
Dayton’s food crisis
- According to a 2015 study by FRAC, Dayton is in the bottom quartile of cities in the nation for food hardship for families with children.
- A recent Gallup poll shows 29.4 percent of households in our region report trouble obtaining healthy food.
- Our region has fewer grocery and WIC and SNAP stores per capita than the Ohio average.
Why grocery stores matter
- People who live near a supermarket have lower rates of diet-related diseases than their counterparts in neighborhoods lacking food access (Food Trust)
- 20% percent higher obesity/diabetes rates in least healthy “food environments,” controlling for income, race/ethnicity, age, gender, and physical activity.